- Super User
GOVERNMENT DEGREE COLLEGE FOR WOMEN, SRIKALAHASTI
CHITTOOR (DIST) – 517644.
Government Degree College for Women, Srikalahasti is an affiliated college of the Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati. The college is inaugurated on 13th of August, 1988 by the Government of Andhra Pradesh with the motive of giving higher education to the women with rural back ground and the motto of the college is "Vidya Dadati Vinayam" — “Knowledge gives discipline, from discipline comes worthiness, from worthiness one gets wealth, from wealth you get good deeds, from that (comes) joy". (Wikipedia)
The institution has been graded as B+ (78.3%) by NAAC on 01/02/2006. Since its inception it strongly believes in a value driven organizational culture that motivates students for the all round development. The faculty has been striving hard to imbibe quality education with values that may set a visionary leadership committed to fulfillment of the institution’s Vision and Mission.
The Institution is specifically established keeping in view of the backwardness of women existing in very poor economic status of this area, besides, low women literacy rate that affects the overall development of the region. Hence, the fundamental duty of the institution is to teach and motivate the women students to escalate towards achieving glorification in all aspects.
The institution is also driving towards setting a trend for women empowerment and self reliance by inculcating the spirit of service along with professional development and skills. The college is also committed to induce cent percent hard work, self regulation and self discipline among students to participate actively in nation-building with strong leadership and prove themselves as outstanding and situational decision makers.
It is explicit that the college atmosphere makes the students realize that there are no short cuts to become achievers in their personal and professional life. There has been a demand for a greater focus on career development. Hence, the college is providing various skill oriented programmes towards developing creative and critical thinking to nurture innovation and brilliance.
The college also discerns that the values should be instilled amongst young minds to enrich themselves to be prepared for paradigm shift from illiteracy to literacy, literacy to education, being reactive to proactive, being led by others to being initiators, competition to collaboration, self contentedness to team contentedness, casualness to creativity, inactive to competency to become exceptional, professionally and personally.
Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Challenges (SWOC)
- Special Economic Zone (SEZ) provides jobs to work during vacations.
- Supportive environment to organize various extension programmes and community Service.
- NET/SLET/ Ph.D qualified teachers are an asset to the Institution.
- The ideal student and teacher ratio.
- Since the college is exclusively for women there are no disturbances or agitations that hinder the development programmes.
- Many of the senior staff members are on BOS, BOI and resource persons for number of National Seminars.
- JKC, a training centre, to equip students with employability skills, Computer skills and communication and soft skills.
- Employability Skill Center is sanctioned to the institution.
- Through ESC, Campus Recruitment Training and other IT related skills are to be taught to face the competition in the job market.
- Dynamic and active NSS units
- Considerable library with INLIBNET.
- Wi-Fi campus.
- The College is located in a backward rural area and little away from the town.
- Means of transport is a problem to the students to reach the Campus.
- Most of the students are slow learners as they come up from illiterate familial background.
- Admissions are very few due to frequently changing fee structure and disparities in fees reimbursement.
- Due to Non Availability of Advanced Internet Facility, Students are deprived of using optimum Advantage of Internet.
- College Alumni is to be strengthened.
- Insufficient classrooms.
- There is no hostel building for the college.
- Lack of sufficient infrastructure and labs.
- The institution has abundant opportunity of ICT through APSSDC which is promoted by Commissionerate of Collegiate Education, AP
- The college is providing all the facilities required to do online courses through MOOCS.
- The Tata Institute of Social Sciences provides an opportunity by introducing a parallel degree as TISS.
- JKC/Placement Cell gives training on Communication & Soft Skills, Analytical Skills, and Computer Skills and conducts Campus drives for placements in various companies.
- Campus Recruitment Training has been regular due to multinational companies put up in SEZ nearby (Sricity).
- Owing to the strength as envisaged above, the institution has potential to become a post-graduate college which has already four PG Courses – M.Com. M.Sc.,( Zoology ), M.A., ( English ), & A ( Telugu ).
- Since many industries are situated in and around Srikalahasti, employability is assured to the students in sectors suitable to the degrees.
- The Campus provides an opportunity for Holistic development of women students to face future challenges in their lives.
- Many Degree Colleges in the town.
- The financial position of the parents has become a challenge.
- Student progress in terms of skills for getting employment in the nearby SEZ (SRICITY) with better packages remains a challenge.
- Complete Digitalization of the library of the college.
- Promoting creative and innovative spirit among students for research.
- Research funding for projects remains as a challenge.
- In spite of applying for research projects unable to get sanctioned.
- Implementing e-governance mechanism throughout the college.
- Improving language and communication skills among students.
- Motivating Alumni is a challenge because they are not turning up after the completion of courses.